Frequently Asked Questions
Does the WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS line remove Chlorine?
The WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS line reduces free chlorine to nominal amounts by adding KDF to the one of the compartments of the patented WaterBoss media tanks.
What is KDF?
KDF (Kinetic Degradation Fluxion) is a patented PRO/PROPLUS access media that is 100 percent recyclable and contains no chemical additives. KDF safely reduces chlorine from your water to nominal amounts.
When Do I Need To Use A Special WaterBoss® Filter?
Use Model 900IF Iron Filter if you notice a "rotten egg" or sulfur odor in your water, or if you have excessive iron in your water. Use Model 900NF Acid Neutralizing Filter if your water has a low pH. Be sure to test your water before installing the unit or Contact the WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS helpline for any application questions.
Where Can I Buy WaterBoss PRO 180 or PRO/PROPLUS 380®?
Click here to find the store nearest you that carries WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS®. You can also give us a call at our HelpLine at 1-800-437-8993 from 8am - 5pm EST.
Does the WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® add salt water to my drinking water?
Trace amounts of Sodium is added to the water unless Potassium Chloride is used as a regenerate. Sodium Chloride or Potassium Chloride is used to recharge the ion exchange resin bed, allowing the resin to continue to remove the hardness from your water source. The majority of this regenerate is washed down the drain in the process.
What Type Of Regenerant (Salt Or Salt Substitute) Should I Use?
Regenerant (salt or salt substitute) is used to remove the hardness from the resin inside of a water softener via ion exchange process. There are currently two types of regenerant that may be used:
- Solar salt
How Does a Water Softener Work?
A process called ion exchange is used to remove hardness. The resin in a softener acts like a magnet, pulling hardness out of the water. Once the resin has reached its capacity or can't attract any more hardness, it cleans itself by regenerating. Regenerant (salt or salt substitute) is used to remove the hardness off the resin.
How Can I Get My Water Tested?
You'll want to test for hardness, iron and pH if you have well water; hardness, pH and chlorine for those on city water. Click here to receive a FREE test packet from WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® which contains hardness and pH test strips. You may also want to consider contacting Waterscreen National Testing Laboratories, Inc. at 1-800-458-3330 9am - 5pm EST. For those on city water, you can also contact your local water department. If you are experiencing iron stains with municipally supplied water, you should also test for iron.
What is Water Hardness?
Hardness is made up of calcium and magnesium - dissolved rock in your water. With this in your water, it is difficult to wash because the hardness prevents soap from lathering. Hardness also leads to scaling in pipes and water heaters. Hardness is described in grains per gallon (gpg) or parts per million (ppm).
What does the WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® include?
Every WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® comes with an owner's manual, water test strips, and 15' of drain line.
Why Is WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® Better Than Conventional Water Softeners?
- WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® is the only appliance with a separate, built-in, whole-house, self-cleaning dirt and sediment filter.
- Our patented directional flow screen system allows WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® to use all the space in the tank for resin. That means more softening power!
- The low, easy-to-fill salt compartment is a labor saver.
- WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® saves operating expenses by using up to 50% less salt and up to 80% less water per regeneration than conventional softeners. WaterBoss PRO/PRO ® also operates on 12-volts while other softeners use at least 24 volts.
- WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® can regenerate in as little as 15 minutes while conventional softeners can take nearly two hours.
- Setting the controller is easy: push 1 button to enter your setting number and the computer does the rest.
- If you have guests or go on vacation, there is no need to modify controller settings - the computer adjusts automatically.
- WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® looks as fine as it works. You can even feel the quality. Plus, WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® takes up far less space than conventional softeners.
- WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® features a Safety Shut-off - its only job is to help prevent the possibility of overflow. Other softeners use float systems for adjusting the amount of water flowing into the brine tank. In WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ®, the controller determines brine refill. The Safety Shut-off in WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® is only for preventing Brine Tank overflow.
- WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® has a packed resin bed and allows for reserve capacity. This reserve also allows WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® to regenerate with clean, soft water.
When Should I Add Regenerant To WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ®?
Check your WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® every month. Whenever you see water above the salt, fill WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® with salt or salt substitute.
Who can I contact to have my WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® professionally installed?
Call our HelpLine Monday through Friday at 1-800-437-8993, 8am to 5pm EST to find the Authorized Service Center nearest you. Or check the store nearest you that carries the WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS® line.
Where Do I Install WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ®?
The whisper-quiet operation of WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® along with its compact size allows installation in more accessible places such as laundry rooms and basements. WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® can also be installed in temperate outdoor conditions.
What If I Have a Problem With My Appliance?
You can call our HelpLine at 1-800-437-8993. The number is available weekdays from 8am to 5pm EST.
Why Should I Buy A Water Softener?
It saves money by preventing costly scale build-up in your household plumbing and fixtures. It reduces the energy cost for heating water and prolongs the life of water-using appliances. Water softening cuts the cost of cleaning supplies by up to 75%. It helps keep your showers, sinks and commodes clean. Clothes washed in soft water last up to 30% longer. Soft water is better for your hair and skin.
Which WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® Will Solve My Water problem?
WaterBoss® offers a complete softener and filter line designed to meet your specific water problems. To determine which WaterBoss PRO/PROPLUS ® is right for you, please visit our Water Softener Selection Guide.
If chlorine is added to the water to protect me, what are the advantages of chlorine removal?
Yes, chlorine is added to our water supply to protect us, however once chlorine has served its purpose, there are many benefits to chlorine removal.
I have limited space for just my water softener. Is it always necessary to add more equipment for iron removal?
The answer is no. Iron water falls into three categories, ferric, ferrous, and iron bacteria. It is important to determine the type of iron in your water before deciding which type of equipment you need for iron removal.